Tour Stop #3: 415 Cherry Street
415 Cherry Street
“We are excited to partner with NewTown to restore one of Macon‘s valued treasures back to its original glory. Working with NewTown is not exclusive nor elusive. You just have to be intentional and take the first step.”
-Anissa Jones and Deon Aiken
Welcome to the future home of Total Chiropractic & Wellness Center and Pink Chief Boutique, owned and operated by Dr. Anissa Jones and her husband, Deon Aiken. This dynamic husband and wife duo utilized NewTown’s lending products to make Dr. Jones’ childhood dream of owning real estate in our historic city center a reality. This sleepy storefront will soon house both businesses along with a single luxury loft unit on the second floor.
In addition to small business loans, NewTown Loans offers financing for real estate projects. Our loan products can help entrepreneurs acquire a commercial property, rehabilitate a historic downtown building, or provide gap financing when entrepreneurs secure loans from traditional lenders. Because owning property is one of the best ways to build generational wealth and equity, NewTown Loans strives to convert small business owners who are renters into property owners, like Anissa and Deon.
This structure was built between 1884 and 1889. During its early years, it served as an office building for businesses within the financial and trade sectors, including the City’s Board of Trade, the Macon Fire Insurance Co., bond and stock brokers Solomon & Brown, merchandise brokers Harris & Hill, and bankers I.C. Plant & Sons. By 1925, the building became home to service and retailed based buildings including Flint & Glenoe Barbers, the Wardrobe Pressing Club, W.D. Scott Photography Studio, Dennis and Ennis Architects, Scott’s Art School, and a milliner known as the Lorraine Shop. By the 1940s and 1950s, the building transitioned to almost exclusively retail with Ries & Armstrong Jewelers, Kernaghan Inc. Jewelers, a variety store named C&S Novelty, and Burton’s Shoe Store as tenants. The building continued to house retail tenants until going through a long period of vacancy in the 2000s. Dr. Anissa Jones and Deon Aiken purchased the building in 2020 and are working with Historic Macon Foundation to utilize tax credits to rehabilitate the building.
400 block of Cherry Street, 1948, Thad E. Murphey Collection. When photograph was taken, this building was home to Kernaghan Inc. Jewelers.